"LET THERE BE LIGHT" Ministries
How to Successfully Overcome ALL Sin quotes
1) "The strongest temptation is no excuse for sin. However great the pressure brought to bear upon the soul, transgression is our own act. It is not in the power of earth or hell to compel anyone to sin. The will must consent, the heart must yield, or passion cannot overbear reason, nor iniquity triumph over righteousness." Maranatha, p 225.
2) The consequence of our sin not only affects ourselves, but others are affected as well.
"Every act of our lives affects others for good or evil." Testimonies, vol 2, p 133.
"...many by their actions have said:...`Whatever we do we are to bear the consequences ourselves.' Dear friends, you are greatly mistaken. You are not the only sufferers from a wrong course. The society you are in bears the consequences of your wrongs, in a great degree, as well as yourselves....It is impossible for you to pursue any wrong course without causing others to suffer." Testimonies, vol 3, p 356-57.
3) Someone else suffers because of our sin as well.
"By every sin Jesus is wounded afresh; and as we look upon Him whom we have pierced, we mourn for the sins that have brought anguish upon Him. Such mourning will lead to the renunciation of sin." Desire of Ages, p 300.
How do we wound Jesus?
"Infinite Love has cast up a pathway upon which the ransomed of the Lord may pass from earth to heaven. That path is the Son of God. Angel guides are sent to direct our erring feet. Heaven's glorious ladder is let down in every man's path, barring his way to vice and folly. He must trample upon a crucified Redeemer ere he can pass onward to a life of sin....Every one is permitted to choose for himself the narrow, shining steep that leads to heaven, or that broader and easier way which ends in death." Our High Calling, p 11.
4) We also allow someone else to hurt Christ when we sin.
"It is a thought that should arouse Christians to greater zeal and earnestness in overcoming evil, that every defect in character, every point in which they fail to meet the divine standard, is an open door by which Satan can enter to tempt and destroy them; and, furthermore, that every failure and defect on their part gives occasion to the tempter and his agents to reproach Christ." Testimonies, vol 5, p 472.
5) How can we overcome all temptation, no longer choosing to sin, and stop hurting our Saviour and allowing Satan to reproach Him?
"There is a mighty power in prayer. Our great adversary is constantly seeking to keep the troubled soul away from God. An appeal to heaven by the humblest saint is more to be dreaded by Satan than the decrees of cabinets or the mandates of kings." SDA Bible Commentary, vol 2, p 1008.
"If you are not experienced in discerning the devices of Satan, your only safety is in prayer." Sons and Daughters of God, p 191.
There is no power at all in the prayer itself! The power to overcome sin is found in the One whom we direct our prayers to. We must realize our weakness and flee to our loving Saviour, fervently pleading with Him to grant us the power to overcome the strong foe, before Satan can be defeated.
"Satan knows better than God's people the power that they can have over him when their strength is in Christ. When they humbly entreat the mighty Conqueror for help, the weakest believer in the truth, relying firmly upon Christ, can successfully repulse Satan and all his host....
"Satan cannot endure to have his powerful rival appealed to, for he fears and trembles before His strength and majesty. At the sound of fervent prayer, Satan's whole host trembles." Testimonies, vol 1, p 341, 346.
Why does Satan and his whole host of evil angels tremble at our fervent prayers being directed to Christ?
"Satan is enraged at the sound of fervent prayer, for he knows that he will suffer loss." Testimonies, vol 1, p 295.
After we pray then what do we do?
"The prayer of faith is the great strength of the Christian and will assuredly prevail against Satan." Testimonies, vol 1, p 296.
6) After having faith, what do we do?
"Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double-minded." James 4:7-8.
"When the first suggestion of wrong is heard, dart a prayer to heaven, and then firmly resist the temptation to tamper with the principles condemned in God's word." SDA Bible Commentary, vol 3, p 1155.
7) None of us will obtain the grace and power from God necessary to overcome sin until we show Him that we are serious and put forth the earnest efforts to resist the temptation!
"There is but one power that can bring us into conformity to the likeness of Christ, that can make us steadfast and keep us constant. It is the grace of God that comes to us through obedience to the law of God." My Life Today, p 100.
It is after we put forth efforts to resist the temptation that God will then send the grace and power through Christ to work in us to gain the victory over sin.
"...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." Philippians 2:12-13.
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13.
This reveals that there are 4 key steps in overcoming sin:
Recognize the temptation and humbly admit that you are weak,
Pray to God for grace and strength to overcome,
Submit your will unto God,
Resist the temptation by putting forth efforts to do God's will.
Recognize, Pray, Submit, Resist.
8) Prayer is the only channel we have to communicate directly to Christ and God and therefore as the breath of life to the Christian.
"Prayer is the breath of the soul. It is the secret of spiritual power. No other means of grace can be substituted, and the health of the soul preserved. Prayer brings the heart into immediate contact with the Well-spring of life, and strengthens the sinew and muscle of the religious experience." Gospel Workers, p 254-55.
9) It is out of love that our Saviour is willing to take all our fervent requests before the Father. And the Father, out of love for Christ and us, is willing to hear and answer our requests according to His perfect will and timing!
"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities, but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in every time of need." Hebrews 4:15-16.
10) God even promises to answer any prayers made to Him on the Sabbath before the Sabbath ends!
The demands upon God are even greater upon the Sabbath than upon other days. His people then leave their usual employment, and spend the time in meditation and worship. They ask more favors of Him on the Sabbath than upon other days. They demand His special attention. They crave His choicest blessings. God does not wait for the Sabbath to pass before He grants these requests. Desire of Ages, p 207.
11) Either Satan will be bruised under our feet when we are an overcomer, or we will bruise Christ under our feet if we give in and commit sin. May we remember the 4 keys to successfully overcome--R.P.S.R. (Recognize, Pray, Submit, Resist), and thus we can escape sin through our Saviour's divine power to God's glory.
Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Corinthians 7:1.
(To further help you overcome sin, we have put together a compilation which shows simple and practical ways to overcome. This study can be found for free reading and download on our website at http://www.lightministries.com/HC/Overcome-Temptations-list.)