"LET THERE BE LIGHT" Ministries
Bible Spotlight - ON THE GIFT OF TONGUES, part 2 quotes
1) For many centuries before the true gift of tongues was first given, a miraculous gift of tongues had already been observed and historically recorded.
The first historical evidence of miraculously speaking in tongues was among the Babylonian prophets. The male prophets of Babylon were called “mahhû(m)”, and the female were called “muhhutu(m)” (Prophets and Prophecy in the Ancient Near East, Volume 12 in the series of Writings from the Ancient World, p 6, by Martti Nissinen, Robert Kriech Ritner, Choon Leong Seow, and Peter Machinist, Atlanta, GA: Society of Biblical Literature, 2003). This Babylonian word means “ecstatic” and is derived from “mahu” meaning “to become crazy, to go into a frenzy” (Prophets and Prophecy in the Ancient Near East, Volume 12 of Writings from the Ancient World series, p 6, by Martti Nissinen, Robert Kriech Ritner, Choon Leong Seow, and Peter Machinist, Atlanta, GA: Society of Biblical Literature, 2003). When Babylonian prophets were spontaneously under the direct influence or possession of their god Marduk or the female part of Marduk referred to as Ishtar, and they were “receiving and transmitting divine words in an altered state of mind” (Prophets and Prophecy in the Ancient Near East, Volume 12 in the series of Writings from the Ancient World, p 6, by Martti Nissinen, Robert Kriech Ritner, Choon Leong Seow, and Peter Machinist, Atlanta, GA: Society of Biblical Literature, 2003), they would go into an uncontrollable frenzy and their speech would become ecstatic and they would be speaking in tongues.
The tongues that these ecstatic Babylonian prophets were speaking were not known languages that could be understood, but were non-language utterances or unknown tongues. As no one could understand their ecstatic speech, the Babylonian priests believed that it had to be the tongues of the gods, and then tried their best to decipher or interpret what the gods were susposedly communicating.
It was not just in Babylon that speaking in these unknown tongues was manifested.
“There are records of ecstatic speech and the like in Egypt in the eleventh century B.C.” Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, p 1100, by G.R. Osborne, under “Speaking in Tongues” section, Grand Rapids: Baker, 1984.
Other recorded and documented instances of such miraculous unknown tongue speaking was in the following religious circles: Greek priests and priestesses; Shamans or medicine men; African tribes; Tibetan monks; Hudson Bay Eskimos; North Borneo pagans; and even an Islamic saint. These occurrences of tongue-speaking were not the tongues of known languages, but were of unknown languages.
2) The miracle of the true gift of tongues was to enable God’s people to speak existing languages so that their foreign listeners could recognize and clearly understand the gospel message! But this is not what occurs in the modern tongues movement of today.
The following is an example of someone speaking in unknown tongues that was recorded and then transcribed:
“Prou pray proddey, pa pallassate pa pau pu pe, teli terattata taw, terrea te te-te-te-te, vole virte vum, elee lete lede luto, singe singe singe, imba, imba, ima.” You can clearly see that this is not any language at all, but pure gibberish!
This reveals that the unknown tongue speaking of today is just like with the pagans, which then also makes these counterfeit tongues of the devil.
3) There are many sincere and honest Christians who, just like in Corinth, have spoken in this counterfeit type of tongues, and yet do not know that this is not the true gift from God. They truly love the Lord and desire to serve Him with all their heart, and so God winks at the time of their ignorance and condemns no one for their honest mistakes. But now God “commandeth all men everywhere to repent” (Acts 17:30).
All will be judged by the light they have received and by the use they make of that light. In trying to save His people from deception and loss of salvation, God allows correction and instruction to come to them.
“Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?” Ezekiel 18:23.
“As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.” Revelation 3:19.
4) It is very dangerous to believe that all supernatural manifestations must be from God. The fact that there have been supernatural manifestations among heathen religions, and that demons can speak through human beings, proves this danger to be real!
“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try (test) the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.” 1 John 4:1.
“Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.” 1 Timothy 4:1.
"Seducing spirits” and “doctrines of devils” are indeed everywhere today, which means that we must test every supernatural manifestation to know if it is really from God or is just a deceptive trick of Satan.
“For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. And no marvel: for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.” 2 Corinthians 11:13-15.
5) We cannot rely on our feelings, or on what we see, in order to know whether something is good or evil. The absolute worst thing we can do is to test if something is from God based on how we feel about it or upon what we saw take place. The devil plays upon the ever changing and fickle emotions of millions, and thus he can easily trick you into believing that what you felt or saw was real, when it was not at all what it seemed.
So then how do we test spiritualistic manifestations?
“To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” Isaiah 8:20.
If the law and the testimony – or the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy – is not adhered to, or is not in harmony with, then it is not from God. God's Spirit will always work and teach in accordance with God’s law and Bible truth, because God has declared that He will never alter His law (see Psalms 89:34; Luke 16:17). If a spiritualistic manifestation is not in accordance with God's ten commandment law and the rest of Scriptural truth, then there is no light in it.
It doesn't matter how wonderful it may feel, it doesn't matter how real it may look, and it doesn't matter how high their profession may be; if all of God's law and His inspired word of truth is not being upheld and followed, then there is absolutely no light in them! As such, it is just a false spiritualistic manifestation from the devil that is not to be trusted.
6) God only sends His Spirit to those who are keeping His commandments, not to commandment-breakers!
“...the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.” Acts 5:32.
7) Many claim that unknown tongue-speaking must be from God because of all the miracles and healings that accompanied these. But do miracles prove that something is really from God?
“And then shall that Wicked be revealed...after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.” 2 Thessalonians 2:8-10.
“He doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men...For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.” Revelation 13:13, 16:14.
The Bible clearly reveals that it is not safe to trust in miracles as always being from God, because Satan will work counterfeit signs and lying wonders in order to deceive.
8) The most important work of the Holy Spirit is to lead God's people into all truth.
“Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.” John 16:13.
This reveals that the work and function of the Holy Spirit is to guide God's people into the correct understanding of the truths found in God's inspired word. This is why the Holy Spirit is called the “Spirit of truth” (see John 14:17, 15:26). If there should be a spiritual manifestation from God’s Spirit in our midst, it will be for the purpose of instructing God's people with the truth, and not letting them remain in error.
God also gives the gift of prophecy to guide His people into the truth. He gives the gifts of pastors, evangelists, apostles, etc., to teach His people the truth (1 Corinthians 12:28; Ephesians 4:8-16), and God gives the gift of tongues to be able to communicate this truth to those who would not be able to otherwise understand it. It is the truth alone that sets us free in Jesus Christ, and then Jesus sets us free from sin and death. So everything hinges upon the truth reaching the people.
Since the Devil knows this, then the gifts he gives would not lead and guide God’s people into all the truth, but would keep them in error. This shows that the Devil's counterfeit gift of tongues would not be communicate truth to anyone, which then clearly reveals speaking in unknown tongues - which no one can understand or interpret and thus are not benefited with the truth - is not from God.
The entire point of speaking is to communicate. It would be useless to speak with one another if we didn’t know what each other was saying! Therefore there is no value in speaking in tongues without you, or your listeners, understanding what you are saying.
“Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me”. 1 Corinthians 14:11.
9) But isn't speaking in an unknown tongue just speaking or praying unto God? Since God is the Creator of all languages, then He can understand all languages. As this is true, then why would you need to speak or pray unto God in a language that neither you nor anyone else can understand or interpret, when you can speak and pray to God in your own language? Besides, Paul was very explicit to commanded those speaking in an unknown or uninterpreted language to be quiet.
“If any man speak in an unknown tongue...But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church”. 1 Corinthians 14:27-28.
10) When we see that God’s word conflicts with what we believe, do we believe and follow the Bible by changing our beliefs, or do we continue in the wrong?
“Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” Matthew 7:21-23.
Many who have prophesied, or who have cast out devils, done miracles, or have spoken in tongues, will hear Jesus say to them: “I never knew you.” And why? Because they remained involved in the deceptive counterfeit of the devil and did not keep all of God’s commandments, but continued to “work iniquity”. The only way to avoid losing salvation, is to love God, do His will, and keep all of His commandments.
“If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever...He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him....the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you....If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” John 14:15-16, 21, 26, 15:10.
“Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” Revelation 22:14-15.
11) God loves His people, and does not want to see any of them deceived by a counterfeit of the devil and lost. To help accomplish their salvation, God calls all of His followers who find themselves connected to any churches or groups that speak non-language tongues, or in any other movement which are breaking God's law, to come out and separate from them.
“And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.” Revelation 18:4-5.